4.09.2009

Jesus is my friend?

On Tuesday, I attended a seminar called "Explore." It was an incredible seminar based not on just what cool new thing we can take to youth groups, but the bigger idea of trying to reach kids. That's not the point of my blog today. The point is about what hit me the most from the seminar. 

At one point the speaker asked if we oversimplify Jesus to people. After much thought, I think we do. We say all the time that, "Jesus is my friend." But Jesus is so much more than that, and if we just tell people that, why would they care to believe in Him? People have plenty of friends, why would the want one they can't see? Wouldn't that be called an imaginary friend? 

I over simplify Jesus so much. Even though I know he's more than just a friend to me. He's a redeemer, my refuge, my guide, and most importantly my interceder. We need to reinforce that more.  I think when we oversimplify Jesus, we are demeaning His power and His majesty. Jesus is close to us, but we should also make sure we come to Him in a humble way. Because He created the universe. He has done huge things, small things, and makes everything work. I love Him, and my goal now is to set Him at a higher place in my life. 

I'm not trying to be rude, or act like this isn't something I struggle with either. The point is, I am going to try to lift Jesus up, hopefully you will too. 

Andy

P.S. This is funny. 

No comments:

Post a Comment