4.16.2009

Hebrews 11

Hebrews 11:16, 39, 40 Talks about Noah, Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. It says, 

"Instead, they were longing for a better country—a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared a city for them...These were all commended for their faith, yet none of them received what had been promised. God had planned something better for us so that only together with us would they be made perfect."

This has got to be one of the most encouraging verses I've read in awhile. It directly states where my "longing" should be. No questions, no way to miss it. I should be "longing for a better country." Normally I use most of my days and concern myself with things of this world, whether that's material possessions, or making myself happy. I don't long for heaven, for full and total communion with God. 

On Tuesday night, I went to a tent revival here at Lipscomb. The speaker said something I'd never heard before, that our goal should be to make Earth as much like Heaven as possible. This is a new thought to me, I've always though that Heaven is so far away, and that this World is so imperfect, that Heaven couldn't/shouldn't be used to compare with Earth. 

Let's combine these two thoughts. If I'm longing for "Heavenly country," and I'm trying to attain "Heaven on Earth," then just think about how much brighter my life would be than it is today. I would attempt to enjoy every second, every gift, and every moment that I have with God. I would live to serve God, and serve others (thanks Jeff Walling and Winterfest). It's been a recurring theme in my life this past year. All of Christianity is rolled up right there, in Matthew 22:36-40    

 "Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. 'This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."

If I'm doing these two things, God is being honored. If I'm doing these, then I am surely longing for a "better country." I just hope that my mind can be changed to long for that, because like the rest of the verse in Hebrews says, "God had (has) planned something better for us." We just have to be in the right mindset.

-Andy

No comments:

Post a Comment