1.25.2009

We have too much.

I don't know how we got this way. I'm not trying to be a self-righteous soap box type here, but I'm trying to figure out how i justified a lot of things in my life. I'm sitting at my desk, with a $2000 computer, a $250 Wii, and $1500 worth of guitars right next to me. That is $3750 that I or my parents have spent on me. I did some research, and found out that 80% of the world's population lives on less than $10 a day ( that's $3650 dollars a year)*. That is less than one semester of my college, way less. Less than the amount of stuff I have sitting in front of me. I feel like I'm robbing people of what is rightfully theirs, food and clean water. 

I think we as Americans need to take a huge initiative to help the poor of the world, including myself. It will be hard for me considering I have no income right now, but when/if I do get a job, I don't think I'm going to give it the church I currently attend. I think I'm going to start going downtown and eating with some homeless dudes. I don't see why not, my church has plenty of money, they don't need some college kids help. The homeless could use it. Is anyone willing to join me? I'd rather not venture down there alone, with money. I love America, but I think that the American dream is killing us. There isn't enough resources for everyone to have everything they want. I don't know how to fix this problem, but I'm going to give it my all to try. 

I know I switched from the poverty stricken people in 3rd world countries, but I would much rather see my work, than send it to some organization, when it's a small amount. That's it I'm done, off the soap box for now.

Love,
Andy

* http://www.globalissues.org/article/26/poverty-facts-and-stats

1 comment: