6.03.2010

The Rich Man


Luke 18:18-29 is one of the toughest passages in all of Scripture to me. Before I left Lipscomb, I heard a man named Dave Clayton preach on this very passage (shameless plug, check out his podcast on iTunes, Ethos Church); and I hated the message. He talked about how it wasn’t necessarily the fact that he was rich that was keeping him from God. Or maybe that doesn’t communicate clearly enough, because it was his riches that was keeping him from the Kingdom of God. The point was that riches did not necessarily apply to everyone. What is keeping you from the following Jesus may very well be riches, but it could very easily be anything else.

So what is keeping you from God?

I’m not going to write out a list and suggest that you tell everyone, and tally up your weaknesses. I do believe that for most Americans, in this consumer driven society, money is going to be one for all of us, but with all that we have, we can have more distractions. Look at how busy we are?

I don’t have a clear-cut suggestion on how this will affect your Spiritual Journey, whether this week or beyond. I can’t tell you how to get rid of these “idols” or “hindrances,” or whatever you want to call them.  All I know is that there are things getting in the way, and Jesus wants us to follow Him. When we became Christians we committed to a life of loving Christ, believing that He saved us, and that our love for Him would be above everything else in our lives.

If Jesus literally asked you today to follow Him into the mission field (wherever it would be), what would be your excuses? 

No comments:

Post a Comment